Week Five: Holidays!
Today’s prompt is so appropriate for me: “Holiday Bake Day! – What are you planning on baking over the winter holidays? Do you make cake, or cookies? Or something savory?”
ALL OF THE ABOVE!
No, seriously. I LOVE the holiday season! And I love holiday baking and entertaining. Steven and I are hosting a holiday party in a few weeks — the first party in our new house — and you better believe I’ve already started planning the menu. Since we’ll have 20+ guests, we won’t serve dinner, but we’ll whip up a boatload of snacks and drinks to keep everyone happy. That’s what we did last year — check out the spread at our 2015 holiday party.
Last year’s menu was such a success that I probably won’t change it too much this year. Here’s a rough outline, along with my notes:
- Homemade vegan cheeses
- Crackers, some store-bought and some homemade because I like to make things more complicated than necessary
- Hot caramelized onion-bacon dip — a perennial favorite; I think our guests would boycott the party if we didn’t serve it.
- Sliced baguettes (store-bought)
- Veggie crudités
- A couple other dips — mushroom pâté? olive tapenade? a classic hummus?
- Regular fudge
- Maple fudge (insert heart-eyes emoji here)
- Gingerbread cookies? Or regular gingerbread, and sugar cookies instead?
- Candied nuts
- Something else — pie? cake? cupcakes? Probably a cake.
What am I missing? What would you choose for my TBD items? And do you want to come to my party? :P