In my exploration of iron-rich foods this week, I’ve come to two conclusions: 1.) Iron is freaking everywhere, and 2.) Blackstrap molasses is a rock star. I honestly could’ve spent the entire week sharing molasses-based recipes, and I had to exercise some restraint to prevent myself from doing so. Rest assured that it’ll show up again this week, because guess what? Not only is blackstrap molasses loaded with iron, but it’s also full of calcium. But I’m getting ahead of myself. Today, let’s check out a few recipes that will help you reach your daily iron needs.
- These Meaty Vegan Burgers from Mouthwatering Vegan look, well mouth-watering! Lentils, sunflower seeds, and pecans make them a fabulous source of iron.
- Angela over at Oh She Glows has an Iron Woman Gingerbread Smoothie that is the stuff of my dreams. I was making it pretty regularly a few years back, and I can attest that it is a delicious and perfectly autumnal smoothie.
- Hearts of Palm Crab Cakes are always appealing to me, and this version from Olives for Dinner looks fantastic. As it turns out, hearts of palm are a great source of iron—I never would have guessed!
- Gena‘s Hemp Seed Tabouli is raw food at its best—simple, accessible, and full of recognizable flavors re-imagined.
- These No-Bake Apricot Bars from We Laugh, We Cry, We Cook look like a wonderful breakfast treat. Cashews, oats, and dried apricots make them a fabulous source of iron.
Not a bad selection, eh? I just love the variety of foods that are iron-rich. You could basically have an entire day’s worth of meals just from this list!
Now I’m off to make some spinach-mushroom mini quiches, shower, and prepare for a wine-tasting fundraiser tonight. Ooh, so fancy. :P
What are your favorite iron-rich recipes?