Sunday, Sunday. Before we switch gears tomorrow and start talking about iron, let’s take a swing around the internet to find some protein-laden recipes to fill your tummies.
- This Crispy Peanut Tofu and Cauliflower Rice Stir-Fry from Minimalist Baker is the stuff of my dinner dreams. Glazed, peanutty tofu over a bed of grated cauliflower rice? Done. Not only does a block of tofu offer about 24 grams of protein, but a head of cauliflower has 10 or so! Add in some peanut butter and you’re golden.
- Turkey-Style Deli Slices from Maple Spice are a practically pure protein thanks to their main ingredient: vital wheat gluten. The deli loaf contains a whopping 115 grams of protein from the vital wheat gluten alone, and there’s a whole half cup of cannellini beans in there too.
- Vegan Richa‘s Deep Dish Lasagna Pizza with Black-Eyed Peas and Tofu-Thyme Ricotta is a mouthful in more ways than one! A whole-wheat crust, tofu, and black-eyed peas make this indulgent pizza a relatively healthy one.
- Tempeh Bourguignon is Ricki Heller‘s protein-laden version of the French beef dish. Considering that tempeh can contain around 40 grams of protein per package and this recipe uses two packages, it’s a top contender for protein-heavy dinners.
- For a surprising and inventive dessert, look no further than this Black Bean Brownie Smoothie from Hell Yeah It’s Vegan. The 3/4 cup of black beans gives you 11 grams of protein in smoothie form.
And that’s just the tip of the protein iceberg. Check out my food-related Pinterest boards for lots of other ideas, and remember: you can find protein in the most unlikely sources, not just tofu! Vegetables and legumes are treasure troves of protein. If you’ve learned anything from my week of protein-y recipes, let it be that little nugget of info.
What are your favorite protein-heavy recipes?